Tuesday, 9 September 2014
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CONFIRMS RECAPTURE OF BAMA.
The Nigerian authorities officially confirmed that the military had taken over Bama, recently captured by Boko Haram insurgents.This comes after controversial reports have been provided on the current status of the Borno State town. Yesterday it was made known that following a week of violent fights over Bama, military finally prevailed, forcing insurgents out of the area. It was allegedly claimed by several sources.
However the next day one Abu Zinnira, believed to be spokesman of the sect, said Bama was under control of Boko Haram.According to Channels TV, today the Federal Government through the coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mr Mike Omeri, confirmed the recapture of Bama and also assured Nigerians that the military had enhanced counter-terrorism operations in towns Boko Haram allegedly challenged soldiers.
Additionally, Omeri urged Nigerians to restrain from buying pre-registered SIM cards and used phones, as it might pose security challenges to the nation.The dreaded terrorist sect is believed to have employed new tactics. This became evident after Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau had released the new video last month, in which he declared the captured Gwoza town part of Islamic Caliphate. Soon the insurgents seized several towns in the North-East in what is believed to be the attempt to expand the caliphate.
The rapid advancement forced thousands of people and flee their homes. However the Nigerian military reportedly continued fight and deployed country’s warplanes to launch heavy airstrikes and return Bama. Some areas are said to be still controlled by Boko Haram.
Posted by NEWS ALERT